Wednesday, February 10, 2016

The Girl From Everywhere Packs a Punch

The Girl From Everywhere by Heidi Heilig doesn't come out until February 16, but I was lucky enough to snag an ARC, and I'm so glad I did. I absolutely loved this book! It was such a fun adventure/pirating story with great characters and plot development. The story follows sixteen year old Nix who has grown up on her father's pirate ship, the Temptation. This isn't the typical pirate ship though. Nix's father has the ability to navigate through time and history. With original maps, he can travel anywhere in the world and sometimes even fictional places, and to any time period. The crew of the Temptation uses this skill to travel through time, collecting different objects and maps that will hopefully lead them back to Hawaii in 1868, back to Nix's mother before she died. They are about to give up when a prospective map comes to their attention. Now it's up to Nix and the crew to get that map. Though it may sound confusing, the story sucks you right in. It is magical and mystical. The writing is poetic and entertaining, keeping you captivated throughout the entire story. I would highly recommend checking this out!

Spoiler Section Ahead:


I loved this book so much. I love pirates and adventure stories, so when I was given this book I was immediately  drawn in. I loved almost all of the characters and the adventures that they embarked on.

I loved Nix as the main protagonist. She was such a strong character who didn't take much from anyone. She was adventurous, curious, and caring for her crew, who she felt like were her family. I loved her relationships with the other characters, especially with Kashmir.

Kash was my favorite character in the book. He was so charismatic, funny, witty, and sarcastic. He brought out a side of Nix that she didn't necessarily show to the others. He genuinely cared for her and supported her decisions. He even told her that he would follow her if she chose to leave the ship. He reminded me a lot of Aladdin because he is a thief while also trying to have good intentions.

One of the characters that I didn't love was Blake Hart. I understand that he was necessary for the story, but I found him annoying. It was probably because I wanted Nix and Kash to get together so badly and Blake kept getting in the way...

I can't wait to read more from Heidi Heilig! Make sure to pick up your copy of The Girl From Everywhere on February 16, 2016!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad for your enthusiastic review as it made me move this up my list of books to read. It is the best story I've read in a long time. Loved it. I posted my review on Goodreads this morning and will be blogging it at Bookends soon too.

    ReplyDelete